Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Media Discerment


How well do you discern what you watch, read, or hear?
Do you wisely look at everything at think to yourself, "Would Jesus read, watch, or listen to this?"

My parents carefully discern everything that goes into my brain, however sometimes since they aren't me they don't know everything that affects me. That is where I take on my own roll of guarding my heart. With so much junk out there lately it's hard to find the right media choices.


Matthew 13:16 (New International Version)
16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.


Movies-


I love movies. I mean I looooooveee movies. My family sometimes makes fun of me because I love them so much. However, before I watch ANY movie I look it up on http://www.pluggedinonline.com/  to make sure it's appropriate. Being a teenager, I often misinterpret things and think since the movie is rated PG-13 it automatically isn't that bad. Watching people have sex before marriage isn't that bad as long as I don't do it. Hearing people use bad language isn't that bad as long as I don't say those words. Witnessing someone kill another human being isn't that bad as long as I know that it isn't real. This is where I get the wrong mindset. I am getting desensitized to these things that happen onscreen as I watch them more and more. I start to think they really aren't really that bad, and begin to change my mind set. This is why we must guard everything we watch all the time.


Music-


About a year ago, I started to think Christian music was just....well....boring. Especially at certain times when the same song was played on the radio over and over and over and over again. However, I realized that the most amazing Christian music are the songs that sing and praise our Father! The best songs that I should be listening to aren't always the popular ones, but the songs that sing praises to our Creator. I went on a little music search and found my favorite Christian artists that don't sing the same songs over and over again are: JJ Heller, Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, and Hillsong. Please check these people out if you haven't already, they totally changed my view of Christian music, and their music is fantastic. Also, it's not a bad thing to have a few fun uplifting secular songs on your iPod. Don't rule them all out! (:



Books-


This is a hard topic for me because I personally read books 24/7. I especially love books about the Holocaust and the 1800s. Sadly, I have a little problem. If the book I'm reading isn't absolutely amazing I will literally scan over the pages and "mark it" as a bad book. Don't get into this habit! Bad, bad, bad, habit! Read the book all the way through and then make your decision! (: That being said, I often tend to be drawn to the more romancy books, if you know what I mean. This is where I must guard my heart because I don't want to be "ruined for men" by all the amazing books I read. That may not make any sense at all to you, but I just don't want to read books that the girl gets the amazing guy all the time. Because I know that we are human and my husband won't be perfect like a lot of those book characters. Also, a lot of the "Christian authors" books aren't really wholesome to read. A lot of them are filled with a girl who *gasp* falls in love with her prince! Be on the lookout for those!  Well, I hope this has helped you with your media! Always please God in what you say, hear, and do!


Be careful little eyes what you see!


Your sister in Christ,


♥♫•Madison

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for posting about this! You are sooo right, we need to be careful. Which is hard to do nowadays, because we can get so used to seeing/hearing/reading something that we just get rather numb to it and before we know it we're in a heap o' trouble.

Again, thanks for posting! God bless!

~Laura

Chloƫ said...

Great guidelines! It's SOOO easy to comprimise, I always need to be reminded of God's standards.

Katherine said...

Great reminder! Thanks Madi.

Katherine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...