Friday, September 17, 2010

Guys :) :)

Recently, I've been learning a bunch about guys. As girls, we obviously enjoy talking to guys and getting to know them. However, I've realized we usually look at guys in our own selfish way, instead of seeing them as real people and brothers in Christ. They have feelings and emotions just like us and we can't act without realizing how it will effect them. Before we think of ourselves and how fun it would be or how attractive we would look, we need to remember the guys. Never say anything you wouldn't say to your brother. In fact, we need to treat our guy friends LIKE brothers. Until we can see them as Christian brothers instead of romantic interests, we won't treat them with respect. Treating them as brothers definitely doesn't mean you can't have fun and be good friends. It means you will pray for them and their future wives(this really keeps things in perspective) and protect and want the best for them as you do your own brothers. I honestly find it refreshing to think about guys as brothers and not as "potential boyfriends". Here are some "guidelines" I've set up for myself to keep everyone's heart pure:


1. I never ask for a guy's number. If he wants my number he can ask me politely and nicely. I never give my number to a guy I don't know well and don't trust. Don't feel pressured into giving your number.



2. I never text guys first unless I have a question or something significant happened that involves them. This is a good rule to follow because it takes self-control. Always wait for the guy to text you first. He is the initiator.



3. I don't flirt with guys. This one is a hard, yet easy one. Most the guys I'm around make the conversation easy not to flirt, but sometimes I realize that a guy left the door wide open for me to flirt. I try and quickly shut that door before I say/do something I will regret. Not flirting does not mean you have to be rude and unfriendly. It simply means not crossing the "flirting line"



4. I try and keep the conversation focused on other things besides myself and that guy. I find it intriguing to debate about certain topics and often that is a good way to get to know a person better. Not talking about yourselves though can keep the conversation on the right track.



5. When a guy is polite and does something good I compliment him and give him a big smile.



These are just a couple of ways you can keep your relationship with your "brothers" pure and good for the both of you.



Next time I will be posting about how your relationship with your father with carry on to your relationship with your future husband so CHECK BACK SOON!!:)

Your sister in Christ,

Madison

4 comments:

Buttercup said...

great post, Madison! I really like your guidelines! thx for posting it!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous post, friend! (:

~Jess

Far From Perfect said...

Thank you for this! :) Two of my very best friends are guys. It's really neat to have them in my life! At first, it was hard not to have "romantic interest" but as kept that in the open. We all fought it and we kept it in check. Now I, truly -- it's like they are the real older brothers that I never had. I can ask them most anything under the world. We care about each others hearts. We lost a mutual friend... and we're all in this together. Doesn't mean it hasn't been hard at times, but it's been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

Chloƫ said...

This is so needed in this generation! It is so evident--just from your writing--that you and all of you girls are living for the Lord! Keep it up!

Chloe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...