Monday, August 17, 2009

Spirit vs. Flesh... who wins?


So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. -Galations 5:16-17

Our sinful nature, our flesh, always desires the opposite of the Spirit (God). It is so hard to follow the Spirit when all we want to do is what we desire. I have been in that situation many times but there is once that I remember really well, and you know what I did? I followed the desire of my sinful nature and I truly wish that I could go back and change that. But I can't. What I can do is turn away from those desires and desire what God wants for me. He has a perfect plan for all of our lives and it is always best. Later on in chapter 5 It talks about the "good fruits" that we can have in our lives or the "bad fruits." I am sure many of you are familiar with these good fruits, the fruits of the Spirit- love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. But then there are the fruits of our flesh- sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. I know that I want the fruits of the Spirit much more than I the fruits of my flesh. We have a choice on whose side we are on. It is definitely harder to live by the Spirit, but in the end we are there are so many awesome things that come out of it. When we sin, it separates us from God. When we are knee-deep in our sin, God will not hear us when we pray to Him. It says it right here in Isaiah 59:2 - It’s your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore. There is one more verse I wanted to share with you all. It's Matthew 7:13-14 -"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (emphasis added) Like I was saying earlier, it is hard to live a godly life, when everyone around you is converting to the worlds standards. The road we are taking is narrow, but it leads to eternal life! Isn't that exciting?! We will be rewarded for striving after God. I am so looking forward to that day when we will all be in heaven together worshiping Jesus! So in the battle between the Spirit vs. Flesh, I can honestly say that without a doubt the Sprirt is going to win. So think about whose side you are on, I'm going to be on the winning side! Are you coming with me?

In Christ Alone,
~Jessica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...