Monday, February 22, 2010

There's a Price

Have you ever blatantly, outright disobeyed God?

I have.

You might be thinking, "Of course, we all do. It's called sin." That's not what I'm talking about...
Of course, sin is blatant disobedience and sin is wrong, but I'm talking about when God tells you specifically to do something and you don't do it.
Saturday night I was praying before bed and I asked God to put a situation in my life Sunday in which I would have to choose between His way or my way, and for it to be obvious what His will was. Not surprisingly, He came through. Sunday morning I was sitting in church service when a thought crossed my mind. I dismissed it, it came back, and I knew it was what the Lord wanted me to do. What did I do? I said No.
NO.
No God.
The very thing I wanted to happen had happened and I didn't want to go through with it. Was it to difficult? Not really... Was I tied up at the moment? Not at all... Looking back on that moment I don't really know what my problem was. I guess I just didn't want to do it, so I put it off till the moment passed. Was that right? Not in any circumstance. Of course we often don't feel like doing what God wants. Why would we? It's completely in conflict with our sin nature. As Christians we have freedom in Christ. Freedom from the shackles of sin. Christ has paid the price and we will be forgiven, but disobedience is disobedience. There is always a price to pay for sin. Every. Single. Time.
You have to choose if you are going to obey God's will and law or if you are going to follow the sin nature, but count the cost before you do. Is it really worth it?
Well...
Would you do something wrong if you knew someone would have to die for it?
1 Peter 3:18
For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous , to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit...

Would you do something wrong if you knew it would be evil in the eyes of the One closest to you?
1 Kings 15:26
He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, walking in the ways of his father and in his sin, which he caused Israel to commit.


Would you do something wrong if you knew someone would find out about it?
Numbers 32:23
But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out.

No? You wouldn't do that? Then why do we consistently think that the price we pay for sin is worth the momentary happiness- not true joy- that it brings? We were set free from sin. (Romans 6:7; 6:23) Break the habit! This is no way to live!

Your sister in Christ,
Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...