Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween.

It's always been a source of conflict and confusion for Christians. Should you take part in it? Or not? Most people know by now that Halloween has evil, pagan roots. Would you want to "celebrate" something evil? Dressing up in cute, fun costumes may seem harmless, but did you know that in the beginning days of Halloween people dressed up to blend in with the demons and spirits? Creepy, huh? Halloween is a great chance to witness to people. If your church hosts something or hands out tracts, take part in it! If you decide to do something else, really think about your choice. Are you reflecting Christ, or evil? Also, think about the people you will be with. Will they encourage you to make Christ-like choices?

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I know of Halloween (it's not celebrated to the same extent in Australia as in America), it was originally 'All Hallows Even'; November 1st is 'All Saints' Day', where every saint who is now in heaven is remembered. And the costumes were designed to frighten away evil spirits...

I don't know, maybe I need to research this a bit. But this is what I've learned about Halloween.

God bless you!

iheart said...

Anneliese,
Thank you for your comment!
From what I can tell, there are a lot of conflicting stories about how Halloween actually got started. From what I have heard, it began as a pagan holiday and the Christians attempted to counter it by celebrating All Saints Day the next day, November first. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I will definitely be researching it more!
God bless you!
~Becky

Unknown said...

Hey,

That's a great way to put it! I totally agree!
Thanks for sharing. :)

I heard the same as Anneliese; but you were right, there are a lot of stories. I heard about it on a TV show about Halloween.

Anyways, hope you have a wonderful day!
God Bless,
Sheilla Kiwi

Buttercup said...

I agree with y'all. There are just so many different, conflicting ideas that we just can't know. But just the extent of some of the costumes, and the whole purpose - dress up like a devil, vampire, or other evil being, whether fake or not - should keep us as believers away.

I have friends that celebrate Halloween, and I understand why, it's probably fun, you get a ton of sugar, etc. But as Christians, this is one area where I believe we must take a stand.

-Buttercup

iheart said...

It is fun to dress up (especially for kids) in cute, fun costumes. It doesn't matter so much what Halloween started as, the point is that now it is evil. Buttercup, you're right. We need to take a stand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...