Thursday, November 4, 2010

In Training

Photobucket

1 Timothy 4:7-8

...Train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

I love to play the piano. I can sit for hours upon hours losing myself in the music. Sometimes when I'm looking up new music to play, I stumble upon a video of someone playing the piano that is just extremely talented at what they do. Their fingers fly over the piano faster than I can watch and I think, "Wow, I wish I could play like that." But as much as I want to be able to go sit down right now and play my piano just as well as them, I can't. Maybe someday I will be able to play that well, but it would take abundance of training and practice. Those talented pianists didn't just sit down one day and start playing like that. It took them years and years of diligent training to become the accomplished pianists they are today.
It's the same way in our spiritual life. You don't become a Christian and then automatically know your Bible cover to cover. You don't become a believer and immediately become the most profusely, literate preacher in the world. You start out like a young child that still needs milk and soft food. You aren't ready to be a teacher or a leader; yet. It doesn't mean someday you can't be all those things and more, but becoming a righteous woman of God, takes time and diligence. Just like Becky talked about yesterday, we have to be diligent in everything. When we persevere through those small things, and continue to build ourselves up and push ourselves to become more like Christ, we will make a difference and we will become a strong child of the King. Our relationship with God doesn't grow if we don't challenge ourselves to do more. We do not become great without any motivation or passion on our part. We can do amazing things for Christ, but it takes time, effort, and devotion to Him. Refuse to be the average, everyday Christian and allow God to cultivate righteousness and godliness in your life.


In His Love,
Jessica


1 comment:

Haylie Jo Gregory said...

I love how you put that Jessica :) I agree, we do need to challenge ourselves more in order to grow more in Christ. WE need to step out of our comfort zones and take a step forward, if God wants us to do it, He'll keep us safe :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...