Friday, July 24, 2009

How He Works

I'm sure you have heard many Bible verses about how God has great plans for you and everything works according to His will.
Like Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Or Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, and who have been called according to His purpose.

That sounds great, but don't you doubt sometimes? I mean, how can God work when we act selfishly or totally turn our backs on him? It might be confusing, but the fact is that He CAN and DOES. Last week I was at camp, and one of the things that God taught me was not in service, Bible study, or prayer. It was while we were waiting for lunch.

I'm really not a very outgoing person. I don't just walk up to people and start a conversation. But, while we were standing on the steps of the cafeteria, I was feeling kind of left out and bored with my friend's conversation. I saw a girl that I had met just the day before standing off to the side and decided to go talk to her. The problem was, I was being selfish. I felt left out and I wanted to talk to someone. So I struck up a conversation with her and she told me she was thankful I had come and talked to her because none of her friends were there at the moment and she was feeling kind of "out-of-the-loop". Not being a naturally outgoing person, she didn't want to go talk to people she didn't know.
Wow! That really made me think. I mean, I am not a very outgoing person. I felt left out. I didn't want to talk to someone I didn't know. I acted selfishly at the beginning because I wasn't thinking about her or anyone else. I was left out and I didn't like it. The point is, although It didn't cross my mind what God would want me to do, He used me to encourage this girl. I was acting selfishly, but God used me. God is so much bigger than we can comprehend! He is not limited to people in the ministry, or missionaries, or times when people really think about Him. He works through everything. So, ask Him to work through you. Ask Him to show you the ways He is working. Because, whether it is obvious or behind the scenes, He is working. What an amazing God we serve!

In Him,
Becky

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true! this really spoke to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...