Sunday, November 1, 2009

Choosing Friends

What kind of friends are you supposed to have? Is it wrong to have non-christian friends? That is what I am going to talk about today. I would advise you not to be good, close friends with non-christians. You want to surround yourself with people who will uplift you. People who are like-minded believers that are striving to follow God's leading for their life. Now, that doesn't mean that it is wrong to have friends that aren't Christians. God wants us to be loving and caring and include people who don't believe the same as you. I have many friends that I aren't believers, but I am not really close to them. God wants us to share our faith, the witness to people and bring them to Christ. And it's hard to do that when you are not their friend.

A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way or the wicked leads them astray. Proverbs 12:26

The reason why I say you shouldn't be close friend with unbelievers is because sometimes they can lead you astray. Most of the time they aren't going to do some of the best things and the more you are frequently around them, the more some of that not so good stuff, becomes okay to you. I play on a volleyball team and the girls on my team say God's name in vain ALL the time. The more I hear that, the more okay it becomes to me. I don't want that to happen. I have to be careful that I don't say that. I hear it all the time so naturally it becomes something that comes to mind when I get upset. So just be cautious with the kind of friends you choose.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

God wants us to love everyone. Which includes unbelievers. So be kind, joyful, and compassionate towards them. Share the good news of Jesus with them! You can be friends with them but you are going to have a completely different connection with them than you do with your Christians friends.

In Christ,

Jessica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...