Monday, March 22, 2010

Easily Deceived

Photobucket
I think a prominent factor in our society is deceit. As humans we are very easily deceived. We should always be on our guard; even more so as children of God. 

Ephesians 5:1-8 (New International Version)
1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
 3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.
 8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.

I know that is a lot of verses, but I believe that it really gets the point across. We are and will constantly be attacked on every side by worldly things such as sexual immorality, obscenity, foolish talk and coarse joking. It is all around us, therefore, it is very difficult to abstain from it. We are slowly being deceived into becoming more like the world, and a lot of the time, the small stuff doesn't phase us. We let it pass under our radar. Oh, the movie is only PG-13; it's just holding hands; it's not really lying, just not telling the exact truth.
I for sure know that I am guilty of doing those things. I allow just a little bit of sin into my life, and then I am deceived into doing things that I never would have thought would happen before.

Romans 7:11 (New International Version)
For sin, seizing the opportunity...deceived me. 

On my own, I can't combat the temptation of sin. It just doesn't happen. I notice in my life that if I haven't really put any effort into talking to God that day, I lack in discernment and am easily deceived. I just want to encourage you girls to be on your guard against deceit. Our world is becoming more and more sinful and excluding God from every aspect of life. Don't allow that to affect you! "Live as children of the light!"

Your Sister in Christ,
Jessica

P.S. if you haven't already, read Madison's post on Media Discernment here! It is a really great post that encourages and helps us be discerning with what we see, watch, and listen to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a great post, and so true! We let "just little in" followed by "just a tad bit more" and soon, we're neck deep in sin.

I love those verses! They are great!

Thanks for this post! ...oh, and that's a great picture too. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...