Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I've always considered myself pretty normal. However, it hit me a couple of days ago-to the average person in today's culture, I am not normal. I'm probably one of those "weird homeschoolers" who doesn't date and is "socially awkward". Those are, of course, misconceptions, but many people believe them nonetheless. Let's face it: real, die-hard Christ-followers are not today's social norm. We are called to be different. Often when there are differences in a group, people have the tendency to cling to others like themselves, with whom they feel safe. As Christians, though, this can hinder our witness. You have to be in the world, but not of it. If I go to London, England, I'm there. I'm in London, but I'm not of it. I'm not from there, didn't grow up there, have no history there. Since I'm there, though, I can interact normally-shop, eat, work, hang out like anyone else would, yet I still have to remember it isn't me. This isn't my life. I'm going home someday. The same is true of the world. We are going home to Heaven someday! That gives you a new freedom. As "tourists" here on earth, we don't have to be held down by what people think. Christ fives you the ability to meet, interact with, and change the lives of all kinds of people. Don't be afraid to stand out!

John 15:19 (New International Version)

If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

Your sister in Christ,
Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...