Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Power of Prayer

Many Christians have not truly experienced the power of prayer. Often it becomes a duty, something like "Lord, thanks for this day, and I pray for my family and my country and me," right before you drift to sleep... Prayer is a powerful tool and weapon in the Christian walk, one of the strongest tools we are given. Prayer is not a joke or pointless, for "What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him?" (Deuteronomy 4:7). Neither is prayer a mindless wish-list for God.
Prayer is a petition to God (Philippians 4:6).
Prayer is a necessary spiritual discipline (1 Samuel 12:23).
Prayer is interceding for your enemies (Matthew 5:44).
Prayer is between only you and God (Matthew 6:5).
Prayer is presenting requests to the Lord (Philippians 4:6).

It is hard to pray for a long time and about many things, but God has called us to do it. "Pray continually" (1 Thessalonians 5:17) means just that. Our minds should be constantly focused on Christ and in a continuous conversation with Him. Jacob wrestled with God (Genesis 32:22-32). When I think of wrestling in prayer I do not think of a few sentences mumbled before a meal or a difficult science test. Wrestling in prayer involves struggling, sacrificing, and growing. Young women must take a stand and be prayer warriors and take a stand for brothers and sisters in Christ, because prayers is powerful (James 5:15).

Some general tips for prayer:
  • Pray out loud-it helps keep your thoughts focused.
  • Get away-whether you go outside or just in your room, being away from distractions will improve your prayer.
  • Keep a list-write down what you pray for and when, that way you can see how God is answering prayers and working in your life.
  • Involve others-Jesus said, "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them" (Matthew 18:20). Prayer time alone with God is very important, but praying with others will help you grow and increase your prayer potential.
In Christ Alone,
Becky

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Awesome post, Becky. It was really encouraging! (:

lahni said...

Hi Becky,
thanks for the commen!I love comments and hearing from you all!I definately encourage you to get more of Leslie Ludy's books,they are wonderful tools God uses in my life!Your alls blog is awesome too and I love that you update it so much,I have a post to look foward to everyday!You too keep up the good work!I think it is so cool how we can keep in touch through the blogging world,but it would be so nice if Christian girls could come together and meet.I have one strong in the Lord Christian set-apart best friend and I am so thankful for her...they are really rare!But I just sometimes think it would be so cool if all of us on her could meet.Keep in touch!
Blessings,
Lahni Blair

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...