Thursday, July 1, 2010

Little Things

I read a note someone wrote me the other day and in it she phrased the question: Am I trying to please God? Or the world? I really had to think about that for a moment. I find it so easy to get absorbed in the world even though everything about it portrays the exact opposite of what God wants us to think. For me, I have a big issue with clothes. I will get up every morning and look at my closet and think, "Uhh, I have nothing to wear today." When the truth is, I have 40 shirts that are perfectly fine. I feel like I have this person looming over me telling me, "Jessica... you just wore that outfit to church 3 weeks ago. Don't you think that's a little tacky?" and I feel like screaming back, "yeah I know! But I have nothing to wear!"

Honestly, Satan tries to attack us through avenues like trying to live up to the world's standards. Because we have Jesus in our hearts, he cannot affect us in such a way where he consumes and posseses us, however, he can shove all these things in our face that are hard for us to overcome. Through little things like reading romance novels that make us doubt waiting for the right guy, or when your "Christian" friends want to go see a movie that is "just PG-13" when you know that it will have inappropriate scenes and language in it. Those little things in life are so important for us to conquer. When God asks for our whole-hearted devotion to Him, He is pretty serious about it. In God's eyes, even those small seemingly petty things like worldly music and magazines can have an affect on our attitude.

Galations 1:10
Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.

I am trying to make a more concerted effort to be thankful with God has blessed me with! He can give me the power and strength to overcome even those small temptations in life. He really does care about every hurt or worry we could ever have.

1 John 5:14
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

That's the amazing thing about God! He doesn't want us to be frustrated with trying to please the world. If we ask Him to help us with that, He will! (:
Have a great weekend girls!


In His Love,
Jessica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...