Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Saracasm: it's one of my many talents


Ever seen someone with one of those shirts on before? "Sarcasm: it's one of my many talents." Some people may take a little pride in being sarcastic, but I'm not so sure that is something to be proud of.
I read this verse the other day and I thought it was very interesting what God's Word said about sarcasm, of all things.

1 Peter 3:8-9 (The Message)
Summing up: Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble. That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp-tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless—that's your job, to bless. You'll be a blessing and also get a blessing. (emphasis added)


You know, that really hit me hard, because I am like the queen of sarcasm. And sometimes that gets me into a little trouble. Being a little witty and fun every once in awhile is not wrong. But it's easy to say something at the wrong time and to the wrong person because you are so in the habit of being sarcastic. Ever happen to you?

Recently, I've especially taken notice of how I talk to guys. A lot of the time, something funny and sarcastic I would say to one of my girlfriends, doesn't effect them the same way. Instead it hurts them or makes them uncomfortable. Guys are so different than girls and we have to make sure the way we talk to them is uplifting and respectful. I cannot tell you how important it is for guys to be respected by us girls. (More to come on that later!)

Instead of being sarcastic, God says we are to bless with our words. A good way to moderate your sarcasm is to just ask yourself, "is what I'm saying going to bless this person, or bring them down?"
Surprisingly, you may find that some things you say in the midst of a conversation weren't as kind and funny as they sounded in your head.
All of our talk is to uplift, and maybe jokingly saying something witty to your girlfriends every once and awhile would be totally fine. But it's important for us, especially as girls who love to talk, to watch our mouths. We have to be careful how we use our words, and intentionally choose to bless others with them. I don't know about you, but I want people to think of me as the girl who was a blessing to everyone. Who never had anything bad to say, but always sought to say something kind and uplifting. The Lord says that by blessing others, we will receive the same back! But really, what better blessing is there than knowing that we are obeying the Lord?
Have a great day, and be a blessing to those around you! (:

In His Love,
Jessica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...