Thursday, April 14, 2011

Giving it up: Selfishness

Photobucket

As we approach a season of thoughtfulness and celebration in regards to the crucifixion and resurrection of our Savior, it's a great time to examine our lives. Jesus died for us, now what are we doing for Him?

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Each and every one of us are sinners; I know that I've never gone a day of my life without sinning. Although it is impossible for us to be perfect, we can strive to be as sinless as possible. I'd encourage you personally to think about the root of your sin. What is the thing you struggle with most, that is consequently affecting many other areas of your life? One thing that comes to my mind is selfishness. For me, that seems to be the root of most of my sin. When I'm impatient, I'm being selfish. When I want my way, I'm being selfish. When I'm lazy, I'm being selfish. When I'm quick to speak and get angry, I'm being selfish.

Psalm 119:36
Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.

For the next few weeks, in preparation for Easter, my goal is to give up selfishness. I will not completely succeed in living up to this goal; however, I want it to prepare me to focus on my Savior. After Easter has past, I want this to be something that I stick with, I don't want to fall back into sin. I want my life to continually change to be more like the spotless example of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.



In His Love,
Jessica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...