Tuesday, May 3, 2011

someone is watching you


1 Timothy 4:12
"Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

1 Timothy 4:12 is well known as a life verse for many teenagers. So often it seems that we are looked down upon because of our youth, thus making it more difficult for us to follow God's plan. Yet I can't help but think that sometimes we miss the last part of that verse. "Set an example...in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." The truth is, someone is watching you. Not only adults and your peers, but girls that are younger than you.

I remember when I was younger thinking that teenage girls were so cool. I mean, 16 was so old. Teenage girls had it made; they could do what they wanted, they could hang out with friends anytime, they had a cell phone, they were just plain awesome. As I reach that point in my life, I realize that my childish fantasies were not exactly true. Yes, it's all nice and fun being a teenager, but you also have to deal with many other things that you don't think of when you are 7.

As a young adult, I have to recognize that I have a huge responsibility. I am being watched by many young eyes, and the example I set will stick with those girls for the rest of their life. Am I setting a godly example for these young girls? In my speech? In love and respect towards my parents? In my faith? In purity and the way I treat guys? In my life?
That is something that has really been on my heart lately. What kind of example am I setting? One person who has really made an impact on my thoughts about this is my little 6 year old sister. She is adorable and I love her so much. As she has gotten older, I've noticed little ways she tries to imitate me. She wants to do her hair like me and make things together, she wants me to paint her nails the same as mine, and she wants to put her hair in a towel when she gets out of the shower. I can't tell you how sweet it is that she does those things. But at the same time, that totally makes me do a double take of my life. Would I want my sister doing the same things I'm doing? Is my example encouraging her to pursue Christ, or pursue things of this world? That's the question I want to ask you today. What kind of example are you setting? When you begin to think about who is watching you, you might start living life a little differently. We are all a work in progress, but this is just one more way we can strive to live our lives according to Christ.

Titus 2:7
"In everything set them an example by doing what is good."


In His Love,
Jessica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...