Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What Are You Pursuing?


2 Timothy 2:3-5
Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 

We can easily get caught up in our day to day "civilian pursuits." I am so guilty of letting my day slip by without my focus on Christ. I think about what I want to get done and what I deem important rather than what I can do for God's kingdom. One thing I have learned from being engrossed in unproductive activities is that it is much easier to get myself entangled than to extract myself from a pursuit. Sometimes those little things are the ones that trip me up most. If I sleep in for just a few more minutes, or check my email really fast before I spend time with the Lord, I find those mundane pursuits cutting into my quiet time.

If I think even bigger picture to the other aspects of my life, such as friends, boys, and social networks, is my time being wasted, or am I really using it to God's glory? Hebrews 12:1-2 says that we should lay down and throw aside the sin that entangles us and run the race with perseverance, with our eyes fixed on Jesus. Good soldiers of Christ do not get entangled in sin. Their aim and energy is focused on the Lord and pleasing Him with their life. I don't know about you, but someday I want to hear my God say, "well done," because I was a faithful solider; not distracted by civilian pursuits, with my eyes fixed on Him.


In His Love,
Jessica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...